BeProud is a programmer-focused company. Nearly everyone can read and write code, including the CEO and office staff. We don't believe programmers are people who simply turn specs into code, but rather people who can handle planning through implementation all by themselves. We want to work with developers who share this belief.
We constantly improve our technical prowess through our work building new services and applications for clients, the majority of which are high-traffic consumer web systems and Android/iPhone applications.
Most of our work consists of short two or three month long contracts with a few developers. With small teams like this, each individual's contribution has a large impact on the final product.
In addition to our client work we also run a few web services including Connpass, an event site for building connections, and PyQ, the best way to learn Python online. We are an active member of the Python community sponsoring and helping organize PyConJP and publish books regularly about Python programming.
We tackle our projects with fun and enthusiasm, while simultaneously satisfying our customers and users, and we hope to continue the balance of fun, enthusiastic work and customer satisfaction with all of our future projects.
Working at BeProud
We truly believe in efficient communication and high productivity. Most of our conversations happen over Slack. It allow us to communicate effective, help each other avoid common programming pitfalls, and share our knowledge while concentrating on our work.
Mac / Linux
Many companies in the world don't care about painful development environments for their programmers.
We aren't one of them. We understand just how important a development environment is to a programmer. We supply a MacBookPro and an extra display, so our programmers can work with multiple-monitors.
We check the fridge each day and replenish the supplies if it looks like we're running low.
Redbull isn't your thing? We also offer a variety of Wilkinson carbonated beverages as well.
BeProud Book Purchase Program
Reading allows us to gain and apply new knowledge and expands our way of thinking. This is an indispensable process for engineers.
We'll reimburse up to ¥3,000 per month for books that you purchase. Through this program we hope to grow our employees, workplace, and culture.
Work from home or any remote environment
BPRD (BeProud Remote Day) lets us to reduce our time spent commuting to concentrate on work, gives us more leisure time, and improves up our preparation for natural disasters.
Work remotely as much or as little as you want. Some employees are fully remote. If you require a fully remote position, let us know when you apply.
We want our employees to have a productive work life and a healthy and full personal life. We encourage our employees to leave on-time and come back rested and refreshed the next day.
We constantly improve our working environment and hold bi-weekly kaizen meetings.
It's our place for everyone (CEO included) to suggest, debate, and implement ways to improve the company.
Working remotely and switching from Skype to Slack both got their start in a kaizen meeting.
Our main focus is employee comfort, so no need to wear a suit and tie.
Though at times we do need to wear something more formal when we visit clients' offices.
Now Hiring Python Engineers
Exact details are dependent on the project, but they usually:
- Consist of few developers for a 1 - 3 month long project
- Use Python web frameworks (Django, Flask, Pyramid), MySQL, and Nginx
Developers we're looking for
- Think positively about learning and using the latest technologies
- Are enthusiastic about their work
- Can work in a team
- Write documentation, share information, and give occasional presentations
Required Experience and Knowledge
- At least 1 year developing web applications with Python/Java/Ruby/Perl
- Fundamental understandings of web security (XSS, CSRF etc..)
- Fundamental knowledge of the unix command line
- Ability to communicate in Japanese with co-workers while developing
Desired Knowledge and Experience
- Developing medium to large web services (10's of users to - 100's of thousands of users)
- Developing web applications with a python web framework (Django/Flask/Pyramid)
- Experience planning and implementing web APIs and an understanding of REST
- Operating AWS products
- Working with multiple developers using a version control system such as Git, Mercurial, Subversion
- Performance Tuning (SQL optimization, MySQL parameter tweaking)
- Experience with GAE (Google App Engine) development and operation
- A blog or other sites talking about technology
- Public code on github/bitbucket etc.
- Experience developing with a bug tracking system such as redmine, jira, trac etc..)
- Pick your working hours (8:00 - 17:00/8:30 - 17:30/9:00 - 18:00/9:30 - 18:30)
- Up to ¥3,000 per month reimbursement for books (BPBP)
- Work remotely
- Payment for all commuting costs
- Health Insurance (Kanto IT Software)
How To Apply
Please contact the email address below. We'll tell you how to submit your resume in English or Japanese and how to setup an interview.
※ We are also accepting freelance applications.
Responses to your application will be in Japanese. Thank you for your understanding.